Friday, May 15, 2009

Don't Stop Developing Yourself

I recently chaired a quality conference in Charleston, SC. We began preparing for the conference in November 2008 and one of our first topics of conversation was whether or not we should have the conference.

We worried that participation would be low because of the economy. We forged ahead after agreeing that quality improvement is needed now more than ever. Participation was great and the conference was a success.

I will say the same to all reading this post. Please pass this message to friends and colleagues. We must not stop developing ourselves. Do not give in to the doom and gloom that darkens the airwaves and news print. Sure, times are different right now and we all have been directly and/or indirectly affected by the changing economy. But, this will pass. Have faith and know that this will pass.

I will say this. The business world of tomorrow will not be the same as it is today. Whether you accept the bad news or not, there is hard core evidence to say the times are changing. Just look at the automotive world. The big three will never be the same again. What they will be, nobody knows at this point.

But I focus on you! What are you doing to improve yourself? How are you improving personally and professionally? I implore you to not sit idle. Work on your life. Better yourself as a father, husband, and employee. Here are two things to do:

PERSONAL IMPROVEMENT
Read the Bible. For forty plus years, I did not read the Bible. Well, now I do. I just recently finished reading it from beginning to end. I could say many things here but suffice it to say the reading changed my life. There is so much meaning and lessons to be learned in the good book.
PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENT
Take classes. You don't have to go back to school but there are many cost effective, high quality ways to learn these days. I just so happen to offer one. My site, www.cpionlinecourses.com, offers low cost and high quality training in the areas of process improvement, lean, quality improvement, and ASQ certifications. We currently offer the following on line courses:
1. Personal Improvement
2. Problem Solving
3. Lean Concepts and Tools
4. Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis
5. Basic Minitab
6. Basic Statistical Process Control
7. Process Mapping
8. ASQ Certifications (Quality Auditor, Quality Engineer, Six Sigma Green Belt, Six Sigma Black Belt)

Each course is a video with narration from me. I invite you to visit the following site to view two videos that I created: How to create a histogram in Minitab and How to perform a regression analysis in Minitab

http://www.screencast.com/t/cDZ9D3rIT2U

To register for a course, please go to:
http://www.cpionlinecourses.com/registration.htm

Once you register, you will pay online via Paypal. Once payment is received, I will send you a login and password to view the course.

If you have any questions or need any support, please contact me.

Stephen Deas
843 814 3864
sd@qualitymindsinc.com

No comments: