Sunday, July 24, 2005

Development Path in the Field of Quality


In 1991, I became certified as a Quality Engineer. To take the test, I sat through a preparation course. The course opened my eyes to the wide array of Quality sciences.

It sparked an interest in statistical thinking. I have always been interested in data but never knew of an area in which to cultivate my passion. After becoming a certified engineer, I went back to school and obtained a Masters in Industrial Statistics. In May, I was certified as a Six Sigma Black Belt Engineer.

With so many certifications offered by ASQ, it is important to understand how they are related. Please see the "quality" development path at http://www.qualitymindsinc.com

Would you agree that is more important to have a career than a job? A career, in part, defines who you are and the contributions you make to society. At the risk of sounding morbid, I often read obituaries to see what people did in their lives. In big papers such as the New York Times, you will find detailed description of a person's life. You understand the devotion of their time on earth. What they held dear. What occupied their enery and attention.

We should be working on our interests and passions every day. Teaching classes. Writing blogs. Networking with like minded professionals. Volunteering to help students, etc. Not for the love of money but to add value to the world and to make us better people.

No comments: